B-3 Vintage Sheepskin Bomber
The most famous and well-recognized sheepskin flight jacket developed by the US Army Air Force was the 'Type B-3', first produced in 1934.
- Real Genuine sheepskin leather and fully lined with wind-resistant fleece
- Brass oxidize-finished hardware and fasteners
- Leather adjustment straps at the waist and neck
- Reinforcing leather at key stress points
- High collar for wind protection
- First designed in 1934 the B-3 bomber became the military-issued cold-weather flight jacket. Aviators who manned the B-17s and B-24s in the skies over Europe in WWII came to rely on their B-3 jackets as they often flew for 8-9 hours in unpressurized cabins, where air temperatures could drop to more than 60 degrees below zero. The bomber was vital to the crew’s comfort as the crimp of the sheep's wool created insulating air spaces, naturally retaining heat and absorbing excess moisture generated by the body. It remains one of the warmest and most insulating bomber jacket ever made.